Recently, BUCKITDREAMERS Julian and Oli were awarded 2 VIP tickets to attend Shaun White’s Air+Style event in Los Angeles. Here are the highlights from father and son duo, Julian and Oli, of their BUCKiTDREAM / Air+Style Dream experience, and a weekend in Los Angeles-
1. The whole VIP experience meant that we had access to all areas. We got up and close with the snowboarders and the performers and really saw that apart from the fact they are great at what they do, they are just like anyone else on so many fronts. It was great for Oli to be able to see this close up and get a sense of the normality of the celebrity. He loved being able to go to the side of the performing stage and experience the event through the eyes of the celebrity – looking out to and engaged with an enthusiastic audience and feeling the energy.
2. Obviously the meet and greet with Shaun White was a buzz. Again Oli got to see how Shaun was able to give time to many people on lots of occassions over the weekend and how he was very genuine in the way he interacted with the various people who got to spend time with him.
3. Oli was old enough to go to the event ahead of me, and in doing so he connected with the Buckitdream team and also the other winners of the weekend VIP Dream experience. The camaraderie between all the BUCKiTDREAMERS who won VIP tickets and BUCKiTDREAM staff on site was evident and they all were able to share in each others excitement about being there together. I saw it first hand on Saturday evening and also on the Sunday as well. The BUCKiTDREAM team were genuinely pleased to see him and celebrate the fact that he was living the dream.
4. Oli, being an avid snowboarder, got to see those who are at the top of their game. The height of the ski platform (16 stories) was pretty daunting and coupled with that was the fact that these guys were heading down a very narrow shoot and then having to launch themselves over a 23ft (7m) gap onto the next part of the ramp. At the same time they were rotating over 4 and 1/2 times and then nailing the landing. It was undeniably awesome!
5. We also managed a bunch of other experiences whilst there. We explored Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive, and we went to a LA Clippers and San Antonio Spurs NBA game too. We had lots of great food at cool restaurants and bars, and relished the buzz and excitement of one of the great cities in the world.
The world has many different faces and it is even better to be there with others, and have these shared experience to keep with us for life. They will always remain, no matter what else happens. For me, this is the essence of Buckitdream. The key takeaway from this Dream experience for Oli, is that having a dream and working towards that goal and actually realizing it is a great reflection of life. He had a target set for himself and worked hard to get there. He engaged many in the process and this all helped to give him a sense of achievement which he could share with others. The level of effort was far outweighed by the experience he had. From this I realized that BUCKiTDREAM can be an effective teaching tool too!
Check out other items on Julian and Oli’s BUCKiTLISTS, their profiles can be found on the app: @olitoohey and @jaytee2108